Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What validates me?

Work has validated me. It allowed me to be the best. To be a success.

Yes of course I know that who I am as a person validates me. My values, the people who love me, etc. But society measures us by our success in sport, business, academics, etc. And my sustained success came in business. I have felt worth more.

So of course humility beckoned. The past six months have been the worst of my life. First I left the firm I had given my life to for the last nine years - due to disagreement with the shareholders over purchasing the business. Not the way I wanted to leave.

For the past 4 months I have been working on what should have been my dream project. But it has been a nightmare. Perhaps I scoped it poorly during the sale, perhaps the team members didn't do their jobs properly, perhaps the client is unreasonable. None of that matters when you're fighting about deliverables at the end.

Luckliy I met someone a month ago and for once my private life is looking up.

I just want to get through this and take a break before considering what I do next. Man I'm tired.

3 comments:

ChittyChittyBangBang! said...

I get you on this one. Having changed jobs twice and less than 14 months made me take a hard look at myself professionally and personally.
When the project is finally completed, it may be a good idea to take some time off to regroup and validate yourself from within.

kyknoord said...

Sounds like you're up to your arse in crocodiles. Hope the swamp-drainage business improves soon.

LiVEwiRe said...

Take your break - you need to recharge. And as far as your personal life goes, that may help you recharge on a deeper level. Connecting with someone usually does. I wish you much happiness.