Monday, May 16, 2005

Are sports fans the same the world over?

AAAAhhh!!!!Did anyone else watch SuperRugby on Kyknet?

I would be the first to say Marius Joubert and Big Joe shouldn't be in the squad (despite the adage, "form is temporary, class is permanent"). Perhaps JP Nel and Richard Bands should be there.

However, I've almost been moved to cheering for the Waratahs after listening to the baboons who phoned in.

This one guy phoned in to complain about Monty and Jaco being picked. Kobus asked which flyhalf he thought should be there: ".....eeer, daardie ou, eeerrr, die Blou Bul ou." Kobus asks, which fullback: ".....eeeerr, daardie ou,weet jy." No? "Daardie ou van die Bulle."

Another guy phones in and mouths off about Jake White belonging in the group due for a medical exam.

I cannot believe that these are the guys who probably cheered White when he turned a Springbok team from being the laughing stock of world rugby into Tri-Nations champions.

And then Joost says they didn't really win the Tri-Nations, they got lucky because of points difference. Give me a break - they virtually won two on the road - losing by a narrow margin. Tell me who would have given them a chance of coming close after the Streauli misery.

And then, and the absolute cheeks of this: These are the fans who watched their brilliant Bulls lose on the road, called for Heyneke Meyer's head, citing his miserable record in the Super 12. These are the fans who have watched their Bulls crumble in the second half, narrowly scraping through against miserable opposition.

The Bulls were brilliant this weekend, make no mistake. Also, the Stormers were woeful. The Waratahs, Crusaders and Hurricanes will not be so willing to wave them to the try line. For South Africa's sake I hope the Bulls pull it off: but grief, I don't know if I'll be able to handle the crap from their supporters for the months afterwards.

Frankly, I may disagree on one or two selections, but Jake White will be judged at the end of this and I'm willing to give him a bit of rope. I'll give enough rope to Koos from Hartebeespoortdam to hang himself.

No comments: