Tuesday, January 09, 2007

To the future or because of the past?

I just saw The Butterfly Effect.

Click here for the Apple Quicktime trailer.

We all take what means most to us personally from these type of movies but it was certainly poignant for me. I took much of last year off to deal with some issues from my past and consider my future.

SPOILER WARNING - you'll want to skip to the end if you haven't seen the movie and still want to.




Apparently the DVD has an alternative ending and theatrical ending in addition to the released movie. I didn't like what I read of either and I would have gone with yet another version.

The movie ends with Kutcher altering reality and settling for the version which is not quite perfect but does the least harm to everybody.

The moral of the story is that "if you change one thing, you change everything" (the tagline of the movie), and that it is pointless to wish we had done one thing differently in our past - we have no idea how this would have affected everything else. Given this, I would have ended the story in the asylum with Evan (Ashton Kutcher) desperately asking for his journals and trying to go back in time to change just one more thing. It would have rounded off the moral - if you live in the past, you are doomed to remain there. It would have left us with the message but wondering if Evan had merely imagined his alternate realties on the way to ending up in the asylum.

But anyway, we take what means the most to us, and that is what meant a lot to me.

END OF SPOILER

The year ahead must deliver. I have promised myself that it will deliver career wise and financially. It kind of has to to make up for the cost of the last year! But the last year was important and I am ready for new challenges.

So onwards it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take most of the year off, or did the year take most of you off?

It is the question said...

Ah KN, you old linguistician (better word that exists?!) Last year was, I beleieve necessary. It was the years prior that took most of me off!

It is the question said...

Ah, perhaps linguist :)

Of course, beleieve = believe